Getting Registered for Federal Grants

If you are planning to apply for a federal grant program it is necessary to complete several registration processes. Please contact KCARD early if you intend to apply so we can help. 

Learn more

Please use the links provided.  These registrations are free, but there are many third party services/websites that offer to complete them for you for a cost.  You will still have to answer the questions and give them your information, so we find these services unnecessary and cumbersome. 

Legally organize, if necessary

Become Legally Organized with the IRS. Timeframe:  One business day to a few weeks.  If you are not organized as a legal entity, get organized!  Contact KCARD or other resources for help. 

  • Check to make sure you are in good standing with the Kentucky Secretary of State.

  • Get an EIN (Employer Identification Number). Timeframe: Immediately upon completion (online application). If you don’t have one, check out for instructions to apply.

Register with DUNS

Register with DUNS.   Timeframe:  1 to 2 days. To register, visit (or call 1-866-705-5711 for assistance getting a DUNS number).

  • Make sure to use the same names and address as you use for the IRS and legal incorporation.

  • Record how you enter each name. Make sure you don’t accidentally put in extra spaces somewhere.

  • Generally, do not make your registration public. You do not want to be searchable! (You don’t need extra spam, do you?)

Register with

Register with  Timeframe: 3 to 5 business days

  • Have your banking information handy, as this is the System for Award Management (SAM), which is how you will get paid if you get the grant. Once you have successfully completed the process, you will receive a Cage Code and expiration date.

  • During the application process, make sure you click that you want to be eligible for grants and financial assistance, not government contracts.

  • If you don’t hear anything after 1 week, call them! Also, call us! KCARD can often help.

Register with

Register with  Timeframe: 3 to 5 business days.  If the program you are applying for requires the application to be submitted via then you need to set up an account. 

  • USDA Farmers Market and Local Food Promotion Grants and Community Food Projects REQUIRE a account

  • Value-Added Producer Grants, Rural Energy Grants and Specialty Crop Block Grants DO NOT require a account

Kentucky eClearinghouse

All federal grants must be submitted to the State of Kentucky through their website at KCARD can help you with this process!